01 Sep Summer Fest: Peppers
Guess what? We gang of Summer Fest people decided we were having a lot of fun with this ’round the web market basket — and with you — so we shall continue the merriment through the fall months (when it will become Fall Fest). Be patient and wait for the equinox, people — the devil is in the details.
Anyhoo, Peter Piper may have picked a peck of pickled ones, but we like peppers in all varieties. Sweet, hot, crunchy, roasted, and resplendent with color, we find the versatile pepper impossible to pass up — especially in desserts. OK, and mashed potatoes. We could keep going, but why torture you when we can just give you the links, and you can explore on your own.
For starters, we’ve got a dossier on the subject. If you’ve been following us through Summer Fest, this should not be a surprise. We’re geeky like that.
And of course, we encourage you to use peppers in every possible course — including (and especially) in cocktails.
- Theobroma Chocolate Cocktail
- Embrace: A Valentine Cocktail
- Chipotle Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Chipotle Corn Chowder
- Classic Mexican Mole (with Grilled Chicken and Cashews)
- Grilled Chicken Ciabatta Sandwiches with Roasted Pepper Duo
- Peppers Stuffed with Roasted Vegetables, Halloumi & Pine Nuts
- Pumpkin Flan with Chile-Spiced Brittle
- Sea Bass en Papillote with Sweet Chile Hoisin Broth
- Sicilian Sausage and Peppers
- Roasted Garlic & Red Pepper Hummus
Here’s what our other Summer Fest friends are doing with peppers. Go take a peek and leave a comment or recipe. You can also follow along on Twitter with the hashtag #summerfood.
FN Dish: Food Network
Chiles Rellenos and More Stuffed Peppers
Healthy Eats: Food Network
10 Ways To Eat Sweet Peppers
Margaret Roach: A Way to Garden
Oven-roasted peppers, and freezing how-to
Food Network UK
It’s Chili Weather
Alana Chernila: Eating from the Ground Up
Homemade hot sauce, and why gloves are a good idea
HOW YOU CAN JOIN IN SUMMER (AND FALL) FEST:
Each Wednesday for the rest of the summer and fall, a group of blogging friends including those above will swap our recipes and tips about the following harvest-fresh ingredients. Here’s the schedule:
9/15 White Potatoes
10/6 Fall Salads
We each post something and then link to one another, so that you can travel around the combined effort, gathering the goodies. Sharing makes the experience even better, so if you have a recipe or tip that fits any of our weekly themes, you can do either of the following:
- Leave a comment on participating blogs with a link to your recipe/tip
- Publish a post of your own, and grab the juicy Summer/Fall Fest 2010 badge (illustrated by Matt Armendariz of Mattbites)
We hope to see you in the kitchen!